Ads have recently been popularized on the Internet, especially on video-sharing platforms such as YouTube, Funimation, and in this case, Crunchyroll. Although they are brilliant money-making and product-selling items, ads can be annoying (it deserves to be said twice). It can be fixed on an episode of Death Note, and at the zenith of action, your broadcast gets interrupted by an ad. Most advertisements usually promote other anime shows, especially Crunchyroll originals on Crunchyroll.
What should be known
There are different kinds of ads on Crunchyroll. We have the ones that appear in the videos. Others appear as banners and pop-ups on the Crunchyroll.com website. In recent months, it has been difficult to remove in-video ads because the rumor is that Crunchyroll is now using tough ad-block circumvention technology.
There are no in-platform functionalities that enable you to disable ads on Crunchyroll. Anyway, why would they even be there? This means that to achieve ad blocking, a third-party item must be used. This item can either be adblocking software or an extension on your browser. Some of these items are AdGuard and AdLock, which are ad-blocking software.
This article will focus on AdGuard and how you can use it to block banners and pop-up ads on Crunchyroll’s website (not the app).
FYI: AdGuard offers a 14-day free trial. After that, you can get it at $2.49 per month (billed annually).
AdGuard and ad-blocking on Crunchyroll
You can either choose to download AdGuard on your desktop or laptop. Also, you can choose to install its extensions on your browser (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, et cetera). This article shall focus on downloading AdGuard and then adding it to your default browser as an extension.
Download and install AdGuard
- On your browser, click here to visit AdGuard’s website.
- On AdGuard’s home page, click on the green ‘Download’ button. The download will start immediately and should finish in the thwart of a duck’s tail.
- Click the file (adguardInstaller.exe). The installation should not take long. Remember to uncheck the "Close browser if necessary" option before you get cut off from serious business on your browser.
- Click on the green "Install" button. This should not take too long. Then, click the ‘Finish’ button.
These steps might be a long cut, but they take care of you, whichever browser you use.
- Once the installation is done, double-click the AdGuard icon to open it.
- When it loads, start to configure protection by clicking ‘Let’s do it."
- Then, click "Proceed" until you get to the "AdGuard Browser Assistant" screen. The installed software will detect your default browser.
- On the screen, click the "Download the extension" hyperlink. You will be opened to your browser’s web store.
- Click the "Add to " button. The extension should be downloaded and added automatically by your browser. AdGuard will reopen and will ask you to activate your free trial. Once this is done, protection will be turned on.
- In your (default) browser, click on Crunchyroll.com and log in to your account.
- On the same page (Crunchyroll.com), click on the AdGuard icon in the menu. It is a shield-like icon with a white tick inside.
- On the menu that appears, enable ad protection by toggling the ‘Enable’ button.
Once this happens, action will be implemented on the banners – they will be removed. If not, click on the AdGuard icon and the 'Block ads' on the website. Choose the ad elements and block them.